Password Depot stores your entries in encrypted databases with the file name extension .pswe. All versions prior to version 9 add the version number to the file name extension, e.g. .psw7, .psw8 etc. The current and recommended file format has the extension .pswe.
Switching from an older Password Depot version such as version 5, for example, to the current version is very easy:
- Uninstall the old version (your passwords and data will not be deleted!)
- Install the new version. You can always find the latest version for download here.
- Unlock the new version with your unlock code (go to Help -> Unlock).
- Load your old database in the new version (click Database -> Database Manager). By default, older versions of Password Depot store the databases to the directory \Documents\Password Depot 5 (according to the version number you are using). Newer versions use the directory without the version number, i.e. \Documents\Password Depot\ only.
- We recommend saving the database in the new version to the directory \Documents\Password Depot\ by clicking Database -> Save as if it is still stored to an old directory (e.g. \Documents\Password Depot 5 etc.). Please also make sure in any case to also choose in the file type box the option PSWE Database (*.pswe).
That's it! You can start working with the new version. Have fun!
Note: You can always open and edit a database that you created with an older version with a newer one. For example, a database from version 4 can be opened in version 11. Conversely, however, it is not possible! You can no longer open a database that you saved with version 11 in version 4. This is because the database format is constantly being extended so that previous versions, which are no longer updated, can't read it anymore.
In addition to that, please also note the following: The above provided steps for upgrading to a new version do only work when upgrading form version 4 onwards. If you still work with a very old version (1, 2 or 3) you first need to download version 4 and install it on your computer. Then, please first proceed as described above in version 4. Afterwards, you can perform all steps again, this time using the new and latest version.